Some users love merging cells, some don’t. I admit I am the latter, in fact I do not like them with a passion. Ok, they can be useful sometimes for example in a template or two, to make them look and flow better, but when it comes to functionality or developing serious spreadsheets I just do not use them.
The risk I find with merging cells are
- You lose the ability to sort your data
- You lose the ability to copy and paste
- You lose the ability to to run VBA programming code as it just does not handle the merged well at all. Usually more code is needed to deal with the merged cells.
I if ever use merged cells, I find the Centre Across Selection very useful. It is just like merge and centre but without all of the above hassles.
- Select text and cells you want to centre
- Home Tab
- Alignment Group
- Hit the square at the bottom right of the group to expand your options
- Format Cells
- Horizontal drop down box
- Select Centre Across Selection
- Hit Ok
Perfectly centred text without the merged cells mania!
Whats are your views on merging cells, do you have the same issues- please share your views with other the other Excellers here.