Hey Excellers time for more Friday Formula Fun……..let’s take a look at generating some random dates.
Why?, well I generate a lot or find sources of free data to use as dummy data. Dummy dates are always useful, so here is how to use the RANDBETWEEN function to generate some dates.
If you want see how to generate other types of random data you can check out my blog post right here.
Back to dates….all we need to do is combine to RANDBETWEEN and DATE functions.
- Select the cell you want to generate random data in.
- Use the formula as below
- The Startdate and Enddate need ot be in the format Year, Month, Day
- In the example we are using, I want to generate some random dates between 01 January 2014 and 01 January 2015.
- Excel will display a 5 digit number, which we just need to convert to a date.
- Home Tab- Numner Group-Select the date format needed from the drop down box. In this case I chose short date
- To generate more random dates just drag the cursor as below
That’s it. Join me again next Friday for more Formula Fun.
Want even more Excel Tips- ?
Sign Up to the How To Excel At Excel Newsletter for 3 FREE tips every 15 days.