This really was something that annoyed me until I found out how to fix it! If you have large numbers on your Y axis it can take up waaaay too much space.the sales here may be good but the Y Axis labels are most definitely not.
See Figure 1 below.
The Axis Labels are very long and are taking up too much space for this graph. Whilst you could put up with it, I would rather my graph have a larger data are to show all the good data analysis and comparison stuff, and reduce the space taken up by my labels.
So, here is is how to change the Y Axis label length.
- Right-click the Y axis (try right-clicking one of the labels) and choose Format Axis from the resulting context menu.
- Choose Number in the left pane. In Excel 2003, click the Number tab.
- Choose Custom from the Category list.
- Enter the custom format code £0,,\ m, as shown in Figure 2. In Excel 2007, click Add.
- Click Close (OK in Excel 2003) to see the custom format at work (Figure 3).
This is a great formatting tip, go ahead and play around with the different formatting and make more room on your graphs and charts.