Hello Excellers and welcome another Formula Friday. I just love this Excel formula trick, which I saw for the first time at Excel Is Fun with Mike Girvin. It is a really quick way to copy a formula down a column……
………………….when the formula is not directly next to your data set. What you say?.
Well you are probably are aware of the double click quick method of copying a formula down a column.
Just position the mouse in the lower right-hand corner of the cell until you see the black cross, and double-click. Boom your formula is copied down. It works because Excel keeps looking to the left until there is an empty cell and the data ends, and then it stops.
BUT…..try the same method with our VAT calculation column tow columns away fomr our data. Nothing happens. The formula doesn’t copy. Excel just can’t see a connection between the formula in Column H and the Data in Column E.
So, here is a little trick how to get that same fast double click formula copy.
- Highlight the empty cells to th left of the formula in Column H.
- Double click with both cells highlighted.
- Job done.
- Excel now connects the columns…….
- Create A Timestamp In Excel
- Hide all of your Excel formulas from prying eyes!
- Undertand and debug Excel formula errors
- How To Display a Plus + Sign On Positive Numbers With Custom Formatting In Excel